Monday, June 17, 2013

The key to happiness...

 
 
     Believe it or not, I have only recently tasted key lime pie.  Once I tried a bite I wondered why I had waited so long!  It was decadent, creamy and tart, and will forever remind me of our vacation.  I was fortunate enough to order a slice while in Key West Florida where it is best known.  As the weather gets warmer here in Southern Ontario I find myself drawn to the tastes of summer.  While perusing my recipes I came across on for key lime pie and it got me thinking... why not bake key lime cupcakes?
 
 
     As I sifted through various websites I learned more about the key lime than even Cliff Clavin would know!  Here are some facts about key limes that I found rather interesting:
 
 
  • they are yellow when ripe, but usually picked green commercially
  • they are smaller and seedier than a regular lime (and much harder to juice and zest I might add!)
  • key limes have a higher acidity, a stronger aroma, and a thinner rind than that of a regular lime
  • they are valued for their unique flavour compared to other limes, with the key lime usually having a more tart and bitter flavour
  • they are also known as "the bartender's lime"


     Perhaps the most interesting fact that I discovered however, is that the key lime makes a fantastic cupcake.  Here is the recipe that I used; it pairs very well with a margarita and flip flops. Enjoy! 






Key Lime Cupcakes:

1 box white cake mix
3 eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup key lime juice
zest of 2 key limes
1 tsp vanilla extract

Key Lime Butter Cream Frosting:

1 cup butter, softened
1 tsp.key lime juice (you can add more if you desire a more intense flavour)
4-5 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
Key lime candy slices and graham cracker crumbs to decorate

Cupcake Directions:

  •  Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners
  •  Sift cake mix into a small bowl, breaking up any lumps and set aside
  •  In a large bowl combine eggs, buttermilk, sour cream, lime juice, zest and vanilla extract and mix until smooth
  •  Stir in cake mix until blended
  •  Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 17-22 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean 

    For the frosting:
  • Place butter in medium bowl and  beat until fluffy
  • Add lime juice and then slowly add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, followed by some of the milk and mix until you reach your desired consistency
  • Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with key lime candy slices and sprinkle with graham crumbs






 
Delivering smiles one cupcake at a time!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love to read your comments and hear about what's happening in your kitchen.