Monday, January 27, 2014

How Lucky We Are...

 
     It's no secret that I love to read. Combine reading with baking, and I am in my glory.  People often fantasize about their ideal "Me Day."  Mine would involve a great book, a fantastic recipe, pyjamas and an endless cup of tea (or possibly glass of wine, but that may impede my reading ability!). 
 
     I recently picked up How Lucky You Are by Kristyn Kusek Lewis. It's a novel that not only inspired me to be more thankful of my own life, but also introduced me to the doughnut muffin.  How lucky I am indeed! Not only did I enjoy the book, these muffins are fantastic!  Even more delicious is the fact that I have found a new author, something I am always on the look out for. Her next book doesn't hit the shelves until January 2015, but as we all know, good things come to those who wait.
 
 
Doughnut Muffins
*This recipe makes 12 muffins
Recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour
You will need:
  • 3/4 cup butter, softened
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/4 cups milk, 2%
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
Topping:
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup butter, melted   
Directions:
~ Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
~ In a large bowl, cream butter and both sugars until light and fluffy
~ Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition
~ Gradually beat in milk and vanilla
~ In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and baking soda
~ Add to creamed mixture and stir until just moistened, batter will be thick
~ Fill paper lined muffin cups and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean
~ Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack
~ As the muffins are cooling, prepare the coating by combining the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and melt the butter
~ Dip the tops of warm muffins in melted butter then roll in cinnamon sugar to coat
 

1 comment:

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love to read your comments and hear about what's happening in your kitchen.