Thursday, August 28, 2014

Wait summer... we need S'more!


   Summer, the season that we long for all winter long.  This past winter was harsh.  We Canadians hunkered down and tried to make the best of it. We made snowmen, we played hockey, we built warm, cozy fires and drank vast amounts of hot chocolate. We deserved a long warm summer. Especially after having to deal with so much snow....


   After such a brutally cold winter I made a vow to never complain about the heat again. I promised myself that I would not curse my hair for going curly due to the humidity.  I swore that I wouldn't gripe when I had to fan myself to cool off or seek shade for relief from the hot sun. I longed for lazy afternoons spent floating in our pool reading a paperback novel with an umbrella drink in my hand. I never once considered that I'd instead be complaining about our lack of heat!  

   Is it just me, or is this summer not all that we hoped it would be? I had such great expectations for long hot days and warm summer nights. Don't get me wrong, we have enjoyed our summer, but the weather just hasn't been as hot as we hoped it would be. I keep thinking that any day now we are going to experience the heat and humidity that we are accustomed to. Maybe tomorrow it will be warmer. Perhaps next week it won't rain. There are still plenty of days left of summer.... it will warm up soon. Summer can't be almost over, it hasn't really begun!

     Imagine my surprise when I went shopping the other day and spotted fall mums in abundance at our local grocery store. The aisles of our dollar store added insult to injury later that day. I kid you not when I say that they now have a complete aisle devoted to HALLOWEEN! As my kids would say... "Wait. What?"

       As we approach Labour Day weekend I am going to do my very best to soak up the remaining days of the season.  Summer, please don't go. We want S'more!  

 We Want S’more Cookies



Ingredients:

  • ¾ cup butter, softened
  • ½ cup white sugar
  • ½ cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 2 Hershey bars, broken into pieces (I put mine in the freezer first so that they don't melt when handling)
  • 1 cup mini marshmallows



Instructions:

  • Cream together butter and both sugars
  • Mix in egg and vanilla
  • Add flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking soda and salt, mix until smooth
  • Stir in chocolate chips and chocolate chunks until well combined
  • Drop by heaping tablespoons onto cookie sheet about 3 inches apart, or use a cookie scoop
  • Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes
  •  Remove and quickly press marshmallows into warm cookies
  •  Return to oven and cook until done, about 2 more minutes

Yields approx. 3 dozen 2″ cookies
Thanks to Jen@CarlsbadCravings.com for the inspiration for this recipe


2 comments:

  1. What a cute post! And these cookies look delish!! I will add it to my list :)
    Thanks!
    Kaitlin

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love to read your comments and hear about what's happening in your kitchen.