Saturday, June 23, 2012

Friends In High Places



Being a Librarian by trade, it's pretty embarrassing to have to slink into your local Library with a plethora of fines and a blocked Library card. A Librarian having an overdue book is the equivalent of a dentist having a cavity! Fortunately for me, my wonderful local Librarians can easily be bribed with baked goods.

This morning I entered the Library and was instantly greeted with warm and friendly smiles.  They weren't treating me like the delinquent I was. I was so relieved! I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact that along with my Library bag I was  carrying a just baked, still warm from the oven, loaf of Snicker doodle bread.  Well, it might have influenced them a tiny bit, but I'd like to think that my friends were just happy to see me. 

One of the main reasons I love to bake is to see the simple pleasure it brings to others. Baked goods never fail to brighten some one's day.  I'd like to say that my baking is a selfless act, but that would be a lie.  The very act of baking soothes my mind and warms my soul.  I recently read a magazine article entitled 'Be Happier; 9 surprising strategies to get you there.' Strategy number 8 was "Start baking." The article went on to claim that finding something that occupies 100% of your attention while you are engaged in it will make you more motivated and focused. Both of these feelings are said to promote happiness.  Baking = Happiness. This, I already knew.  The bonus for me is that my baking doesn't just make me happy, it also makes my friends and loved ones happy.

As I write this, the sweet scents of cinnamon and sugar are lingering in my kitchen and  I feel pleasure in knowing that my Librarian friends are enjoying a well deserved coffee break. Making them happy has, in turn, made me happy.  The fact that my Library fines have been pardoned is just icing on the proverbial cake. I feel so lucky to have friends in high places!

Jane Austen's Persuasion Snicker doodle Bread

1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup sour cream
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup butterscotch chips
1/4 cup toffee baking bits

*Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • Cream butter, sugar, salt and cinnamon until fluffy.
  • Add eggs one at a time and mix well.
  • Add vanilla and sour cream and mix well.
  • In a separate bowl, mix flour and baking powder.
  • Add to wet ingredients and mix until combined.
  • Add butterscotch chips and toffee bits and stir into batter. 
  • Spoon batter about 2/3 full into your choice of pan:
  •  4 mini loaf pans = 35 - 40 minutes
  •  2 large loaf pans = 60 - 70 minutes
  •  Muffins (makes about 2 dozen) = 20 minutes
  •  *or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
  • For topping mix 3 tsp sugar and 3 tsp cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle over the batter in each pan.
  •  Let cool before removing from pan and set on wire cooling racks.
  • This bread slices much better when cooled, but it is so hard to resist eating it when it is warm!

1 comment:

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love to read your comments and hear about what's happening in your kitchen.