Saturday, July 21, 2012

Wedding at Cana Zucchini



    
     Recently a friend of ours stopped by with a special delivery; two very large, homegrown zucchinis from his father's garden.  What makes this zucchini extra special is the fact that our friend went out of his way, on his bike, at the onset of a great summer thunderstorm to bring us this wonderful summer squash.  As it turns out, this is the gift that keeps on giving!

     We ate some for supper that night; roasted in olive oil, salt and pepper and tossed with pasta. It was fantastic!  Our kids though, wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole so I decided to get creative.  The next day I donned my apron, searched my recipe books, and found the recipe below.  It baked up well, didn't require too much effort and I had everything I needed in my pantry and fridge. What more can you ask for?  What I didn't expect was how far this zucchini would go!  Turns out I spent more time in the kitchen than I had planned to, but the reward was more than worth it!  Spending a rainy day in the kitchen is a treat for me and being able to give away a bounty of zucchini bread to my friends and family warms me from within.  It may not be as monumental as turning water into wine, but for me, it was pretty close. 

Turning Zucchini Into Something My Kids Will Eat

You Will Need:

1 egg
1/2 cup Miracle Whip Dressing
1 1/2 cups grated Zucchini (unpaired)
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

~Heat oven to 350 degrees
~Beat egg and Miracle Whip in large bowl with whisk until well blended.
~Stir in zucchini.
~Mix remaining ingredients in separate bowl.
~Add to zucchini mixture, stir until just moistened.

~Pour into loaf pan sprayed with Pam.

~Bake for 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted into middle comes out clean.
~Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove and continue to cool on wire rack.


Before...


During...


and After!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love to read your comments and hear about what's happening in your kitchen.