Saturday, May 25, 2013

Cupcakes from the teacher...

 

 
 

I am now officially a teacher. At 43 years of age, and a wife and mother of 3, I went back to school. Life gave me lemons and although it's been a tough squeeze, I made lemonade. Well, not really. I made cupcakes - lots of them.  I also made pies, cakes, cookies, muffins and... well, you get the idea. For me, it was therapeutic. Mixing, measuring, whisking - the motions comfort me. Reading and following recipes distracts me and forces me to divert my focus.  

What do I do with the fruits of my labour? Well that is the best part of my emotional baking. The irony of my love of baking is the fact that I don't have a sweet tooth. I'd choose salty over sweet any day. Give me a choice between a cupcake and a bowl of popcorn and the latter wins hands down every time. That means that my baking serves two purposes;  it makes me happy and it makes my family, friends and neighbours happy (well, maybe not so much my neighbours....they may be getting tired of me asking to borrow a cup of sugar!).   

Now that I am finished my gruelling year at the Faculty of Education, I find myself once again looking for work. Recently, a friend asked me to bake for an event. She even paid me to do it! While it's not my dream teaching career, getting paid to bake is pretty exciting. It gives new purpose to tying my apron strings. Since then, I've been asked to bake 'wine themed' cupcakes for a birthday party. Now that is right up my alley! Getting paid to bake... that is a strange concept. I'm getting paid to do something that I love. Come to think of it, if someone were to hire me to teach the same would be true. Until then, I'll keep calm and bake on. I didn't come this far without having a little faith, I'm sure my dream job will come along.  If in doubt, make cupcakes! 





Below is the recipe I baked for the birthday party. I hope they enjoyed them as much as I enjoyed baking them.

Cheers!
 
 


 
Another cupcake? Wine not?

Red Velvet Cupcakes With
Butter Cream Frosting
 
 
You will need:
 
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs, at room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk 
28 ml  red food coloring liquid
*makes approximately 30 cupcakes
 
 
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners
  •  In a large bowl, sift flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt together
  •  Beat butter and sugar for 2 minutes with mixer, scraping the sides as you go
  •  On low speed, add eggs one at a time  followed by the vanilla
  •  Add sour cream
  •  Add dry ingredients alternating while adding the milk
  •  Stir in red food coloring
  •  Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 17-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
  •  Let cool before frosting

 
 

For frosting you will need:
  • 8 Tbs (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 4-5 cups confectioner's sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp milk or cream
Frosting Instructions:
  • With an electric mixer cream butter until fluffy
  • Slowly add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, until well combined
  • Add vanilla and milk/cream
  • Add more powdered sugar for a thicker frosting and more milk/cream for a thinner frosting depending on your taste
  • Pipe icing onto cupcakes and garnish to your heart's desire







 

 Thanks to 'Your Cup of Cake' for inspiring this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog. I hope my words have helped or inspired you today. Hold on and lean in.